A tale of 3 rugs

12-30-17
The year is almost over and the set up of  P and L is almost complete. I am weaving the final rug on this 5 yard warp, 4 of 4 and this one is roving and yarn.
   When I started weaving on my new to me Macomber, the first three warps I did were samplers, 7-12 inches wide and each on a different weave structure.
The first one was a plain weave threading and I wove plain weave, twill, herringbone, with yarn fiber and rags at 8 epi.

The second one was a point twill at 7 epi, and I wove diamonds, rose path, and bound weave , again with rags, and wool yarns. it was better than the last one but still not what I wanted.


The third one was 4 harness Summer and winter at 7 epi and once again the same materials. I was more pleased with this one than any of the others. I had just finished a class at the local guild on the weave structure but I didn't want to make more towels. The block design was pleasing, and the combo of rags and yarn looked the best.

So I was finally ready to put some bigger warps on. the next warp was 18" wide and 3 - 4 yards long, set up at 4 epi with shaft switching. I had a blast! I made 2 pieces though I had more fun with the first than the second.


Lastly I have had this warp. 5 yards, 36" wide at 4 epi. The first rug you may have seen on my website was to celebrate my brothers new Apartment. Red and Yellow block design from rags.

Unfortunately my brother passed away before I could give it to him.

Next was a red and dark brown piece I called mourning. The pattern came out odd because I didn't balance it, and it will need blocking. But it did convince me to get a temple.

What's a temple? Well, its a device that keeps your edges spread out so that your warp doesn't fray from drawing rubbing on your reed. ( I feel like I should provide a diagram!) It also helps make your edges neater.

So the next rug number 3 was another block design, with a riot of colors and bigger blocks. I learned a lot from this piece. Namely that the yarn I used took 2 full skeins to make a foot of weaving! and even that was when they were triple stranded, so really it took 6 full skeins to make a foot!  That's too much! Thankfully I'm just using up old stock.

So now my last rug is made of the same yarn but with roving from the same company, handyed by me, to spice it up. We'll see what happens!

Comments

Popular Posts