Overshot-lessons learned

I am weaving 2 projects in overshot. Perhaps thats an overstatement. I am weaving one project in overshot, the other project is still on the warping board.

I haven't woven this since I first got a floor loom back in 1999. I remember loosing my place often, not being able to remember which tabby I was on, and generally saying I love it but it's hard on my brain!
Now many weaving years and a few classes later, I've come back to overshot. This project is Star of Bethlehem, an often used pattern because it's fairly easy to thread, count and weave. So here are a few of the things I have learned that help;

Start on the side of your first tabby treadle- If you start on the left, your first treadle should be on the left. This way if you lose your place you will know by looking at what side of the weaving is the shuttle on.

Tie up your treadles with the pattern treadles on one side and the tabby treadles on the other side- This way you can use two feet to weave, and not wear out one leg/foot. I have a Macomber with a foot rest so I can rest whatever foot is not weaving. If you don't have one of these, slide your non working foot to the back of the treadle closest to the hinge.

Sticky notes are your friend- If your pattern is written on a sheet in front of you attached to your loom, use colored sticky notes to keep track of your place in the pattern. These are also good for when your under the loom tying up the treadles and can't get to your computer, threading, and all sorts of things.

Weaving software is pretty cool!- I used weaving software to see if I could alternate the pattern on my 8 shaft. Then I had to figure out the tie up to make it work and presto! I have an alternating pattern instead of just vertical bars of pattern. Weaving software has also helped me find mistakes in patterns as well as my own misconceptions in the way things should look, or be threaded, treadled or tied up.

When you're tired, take a break- Loosing track of where you are every row? Can't remember which pick you just did even though you just looked at it? You're probably in need of a break. Go ahead and mark your place and go do something else. Like read your favorite blogs!

The last and most important lesson I learned is I'm not that newbie weaver anymore. I'm familiar with weaving, my loom and the new conclusion is- I like it! What happens next?



Comments

Popular Posts